Thursday, December 30, 2010

Tennessy Willems: The Wood Oven Pizza Joint


Courtesy Ottawa Magazine
 I was so happy to hear that the new wood oven pizza restaurant in Hintonburg had just opened. The minute I arrived back to Ottawa from the holidays, I went straight to the Tennessy Willems: The Wood Oven Pizza Joint for dinner. I was told that it was booked that night however there was room at the bar or take-out. My guests and I were pleased to sit at the bar - this way you can see everything going on in the kitchen and restaurant and chat with staff.
First off, I found the restaurant had a cool vibe about it. It seemed relaxed and friendly, my kind of place. My sister who just moved here from Toronto was also very happy with this place also since it reminded her of some cool places she haunted in downtown Toronto.

I was quick to chat up the service staff to find out more about the owners. First I found out the place is named after the owner's son and daughter. This is their first restaurant and that they didn't have any previous experience. Rumour has it that they own a tree farm - that would make sense since they can easily supply the wood for their oven :) They wanted to open this type of restaurant because they had no luck tracking one down in the area after experiencing this type of pizza in the States.

Courtesy Ottawa Magazine
The Tennessy Willems menu had a great selection of pizzas that I had a hard time picking just one. It also included a selection of salads, apps and other main courses like chicken, fish and beef. Something for everyone. I was pleased to read that the restaurant supports local farming and they use organic produce when available.

On tap they had Beaus and St. Ambroise beer - which my husband was very happy to hear - they are two local beer companies. They also have a very good wine selection - almost too good for a pizza joint.

I had the house salad which was made with arugula and mushrooms - very delicious. The pizza I had was nice and light with a thin crust and delicate ingredients. I liked is so much I ate the whole pizza and didn't want to share!!

I would definitely recommend the Tennessy Willems restaurant to anyone. Go check it out and I dare you not to finish your pizza. I should add that my sister's comment about the food that it is good but it needs more love or passion in it. I said I think it will come since they just opened and they are getting use to this business.

Note: The staff told us that it has been really busy over the holidays and that you should call ahead for reservations: 613-722-0000.

Address: 1082 Wellington Street (Across from Giant Tiger in Hintonburg)

No comments:

Post a Comment